11 September 2010

Fashion Night Out - Jersey Style

HWK, The Teenager and I attended a Fashion Night Out NYC event this evening, completely by mistake.

We traveled south to Paramus, NJ to the ridiculously large Garden State Plaza Mall, about 15 minutes from the George Washington Bridge that links us to Manhattan.  When we arrived we noticed it seemed busy outside, and the Valet Parking was larger than usual (yes, Valet Parking at the mall...let's save that for another time, people).  HWK & The Teenager went to see the-movie-I-was-not-seeing-because-really-why-would-I (it rhymes with "President Weevil") at the Mall's AMC.  I set off in search of a good book and a cushy chair at Borders (you know, the other library - Barnes is my usual haunt).

I got sidetracked...big time.  There were soooo many people!  And DJs spinning in several stores ("spinning" - I'm so hip).  This is the mall that often does movie screenings, and where I inadvertently saw the cast of "Vampire Diaries" last Fall, so I thought I should take a peek around.

After several haughty looks from emaciated Amazon women wearing some really unique textile combinations, I asked a saleswoman if there was an event happening this evening.  I cannot adequately describe the look of abhorrent horror she gave me.  She spat out, "It's Fashion Night Out!", spun on her impossibly high heel, and left me in a dissipating cloud of expensive smelling (ie., cloying) scent.

I completely lost it.  Laughed and laughed.  I can only assume, after all, that she did not approve of my ignorance, or, perhaps, of my very cool "no make-up, purple polyblend comfy shirt, jeans and flip-flops" look.  I tell you, I was almost hysterical.  I couldn't help it.  I got dissed by a Jersey Girl because of Fashion Night Out!  Oh, if I only had a scrunchy and some Aquanet....

No comments:

Post a Comment