23 October 2010

Soap...and bacon...and Slim Jims (gross advisory in effect)

I've decided to try hot process soap making.  Not wholesale, mind you.  Just a little.  I usually make melt and pour soap for home use, but hot process soap (made in a slow cooker) is supposed to be very "rustic" looking, and from what I've seen so far, it is kind of neat-o.  Now, I'm not going to start a big soap business or anything crazy.  I think I'll make some for us, friends and family, and maybe throw a couple of bars up on Etsy if I have any left.

Mostly I am trying it because of the concept of bacon soap.  I was buying fragrance oil online, and when I told The Teenager they had "bacon", he got very excited.  I'm kind of grossed out, myself...but hey, I can always market it as a guy-magnet, right?  Maybe I can make a duo of bacon soap and beer soap?  In my experience, there is little that will make a man happier than a cold beer and bacon (hopefully not together - excessive!).  I will draw a hard line, though, at Slim Jim Scent.  Blech.

(Skeery story from my/The Teenager's childhood(s) warning)

When The Teenager was a wee lad, he loved Slim Jims.  Seriously.  Loved.  Slim Jims.

Now, I grew up in Maine.  As HWK so eloquently puts it, "I can skin #@&."
I've seen animals slaughtered.  I've even had to hand crank a sausage maker.  And if you don't know what that means, I will not explain - I will save you a couple years of therapy, instead.

VERY little makes me squeemish.  That gross orange greasy yucky stuff in Slim Jims?  It grosses me out so bad that the sight of a Slim Jim package, let alone the smell (gag), stops me in my tracks.  And The Teenager REALLY loved them.  You know how people say they would do anything for the children in their lives?  Lay down in traffic, give up a liver?  Well, I bought Slim Jims.  And did not vomit as he chomped them down.

And yes, I realize I just seriously went off on a tangent.  But now you know what I'm talking about, right??

Anyhow, I'm just going to let my new little creations rest a bit, and then maybe I'll round  up a singleton friend, gift a Bacon Bar, and see what happens!

P.S. -->  Now that he's The Teenager, I make him buy his own Slim Jims.  I've done my time, man!

No comments:

Post a Comment